On 2011-04-06 02:30:44 +0300, Torarin said:

2011/4/4 Max Klyga <max.kl...@gmail.com>:
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback!

I'll post my proposal update tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it too! I've done a fair amount of research on
these topics and given networking in D a lot of thought. I'd prefer
the standard library's socket interface to be more low level than it
is today, and to have a socket type that provides non-blocking IO
transparently through fibers. This enables both generic protocol
implementations that can handle several types of concurrency, and
efficient parsers using buffered input ranges.

I also think the library should offer it's own event loop instead of
linking to libev or libevent, which have their weaknesses in such a
context. For instance, you can't simply hand over garbage collected
objects to them, which is unfortunate given the usefulness of closures
for handling events. I also think a lower-level API than Boost ASIO is
wise, because one may need to use novel and platform-specific
optimizations like linux splice, a must for efficient file servers.

As I mentioned, I have started implementing some of this. Would you be
interested in pairing up with me on some parts of the project?

Best regards, Torarin

I'll be glad to cooperate if this isn't explicitly forbidden by GSoC rules (which is highly implausible).
I too think that current socket interface could be improved.