On 30/03/11 19.19, BlazingWhitester wrote:
On 2011-03-30 17:48:59 +0300, Jonas Drewsen said:

On 30/03/11 03.04, Max Klyga wrote:
snip

Great to see that you're interested in improving the Phobos library!

There already is some work being done on this.

I've created bindings for libcurl that was accepted into Phobos a
couple of days ago (see etc.c.curl module). This is the foundation of
some network client classes that I'm doing. I intent to submit this to
Phobos when I've implemented the last of the suggestions that I
received from the community earlier.

Could you give links to that suggestions?

Look for threads in this newsgroup that I started and that have curl or libcurl in the title.

Is your work on network-clients avaliable online?

Yes. I haven't pushed my working copy for some time but you can see an older version in the link I provided (see below).

My initial target is FTP and HTTP
support.

See:
https://github.com/jcd/phobos/blob/curl/etc/curl.d

This does have some overlap with your proposal but that doesn't have
to be a bad thing.

If this proposal gets accepted you have the libcurl bindings already
as a kickstart.

Some other options are to extend the client classes that I'm doing. Or
to implement the network server classes.

RFC compilant HTTP-server is very hard to implement, so one solution
might be to implement different protocol clients (SMTP, ...) so our work
will not overlap.

Actually I believe that a RFC compliant HTTP-server implementation with only mandatory features is not that hard to do. That would provide a good starting point for future improvements.

But my initial thoughts on server classes was not HTTP specific though. It was more like a general server network framework. This framework could in turn be used to create a HTTP server if somebody wanted that.

/Jonas