On 5/21/2011 9:09 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
Also, doesn't your editor leave line endings in tact? Every editor I've used for
programming detects the line endings and doesn't play with them, and they
generally have an option to chose the default line ending style for new files.

My editor sets the line endings to match the default of the OS it is running under. In my experience, it is nearly always the right thing to do.

There isn't a right or wrong answer here, unfortunately. Unfortunately, even now a lot of unix programs still crash and burn with CRLF files (I'm looking at you, make on FreeBSD).