On 2011-06-10 22:09, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Andrei Alexandrescu"<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org>  wrote in message
We need a script to update all of dmd's paraphernalia. By this I'm putting
the task up for grabs and am describing it.

The script would require git to be installed, and would orchestrate git
commands to freshen the installation. Either a tag can be given, or the
script would automatically detect the latest "semistable" release, or even
the script can be told to get the latest and greatest. The exact tagging
convention is to be defined later.

The trick with such tools is they must "just work". That means wherever
and however you installed dmd, the script should be able to detect
everything it needs for a successful update. This means: dmd and rdmd
binary locations, druntime and phobos library locations, and druntime and
phobos import locations.

I've already been planning to add the features of "recompile DMD" and "check
out DMD from git and compile it" to DVM (unless Jacob plans to beat me to
it). You do have good suggestions on some of the implementation details. If
there's still another feature in your proposal that I've overlooked here,
let me know.

This has been on my long-term-todo list since I started the project. Although I have no idea if this is possible, because, as far as I know, there is no the "connection" between the DMD, druntime and Phobos repositories. How do I know if a particular revision/hash from one repository will work with one from the other repositories?

I was going to wait to do this until Jacob merged in my Windows pull request
(he said he'd get to it end of next week, IIRC), because I want to base it
off a DVM that already has Windows support, but maybe I shouldn't wait and
should just fork my "windows fork" and get to it? (I'm still fairly new to
DVCS and "proper DVCS procedures".)

DVM is written in D1/Tango, though. Would that be a problem? If so, and if
Jacob doesn't have any objections to it being ported to D2/Phobos, then I'd
volunteer to do the port. I already have experience porting a bunch of my
own code from D1/Tango to D2/Phobos. But I don't want to be hasty about
porting it: I assume Jacob had a reason for using D1/Tango. I don't know how
important the reason was.

I would prefer to use Tango. The reasons I chose Tango were/are:

* I'm used to D1/Tango
* Every time I try to use D2 something isn't working
* I still think Tango is more superior than Phobos, although Phobos is doing a great job of filling in the feature holes * A particular feature and the most important that I needed was to easy download files via HTTP, Tango makes this very easy. Now Phobos is getting a curl wrapper which should make it as easy, don't know the status of that though. I don't want to and don't know how to use a low level socket to do this.

--
/Jacob Carlborg