Den 13-07-2011 21:19, Jacob Carlborg skrev:
I've written a more formal specification of my ideas for a package
manager for D.

https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orbit/wiki/Orbit-Package-Manager-for-D

Note that I am exploring the possibility of using D as the language for
all the files mentioned in the link above.

The current status is that building packages and installing them works,
but quite limited. No dependency tracking or central repository so far.

Please comment and suggest.

Nice work!

Orb - tool section:

Describe what the "use" command does. I guess it simply adds a required orb to the Orbfile in the current directory?

Orbfile section:

The "orb" command that accepts git/hg/svn repositories should also allow for a tag/commit parameter I think.

The "orb" commands second parameter could also be a list of serveral repositories to try in order for fallback.

I guess a user configuration file in ~/.orb could contain "source" commands as well.

Orb package section:

I think the versioning scheme should be set in stone actually. Most other packaging systems does that. It makes your life much easier.

Central repository section:

Please let us settle for one format for the metadata.xxx file. My vote is for json or yaml. XML is too verbose for my taste. I also think that it should be compressed e.g. metadata.json.bzip since it will quickly grow quite large and the packaging system has to be fast.

since it is quite common reupload the same package version with at simple build fix.

Additionally the architecture should be added to the name:
Now it is just like how debian files look like :)

Maybe put the file in an arch subdir

I'm really in favor of doing this in D instead of ruby though.

/Jonas