On 2011-07-14 21:50, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Jacob Carlborg"<d...@me.com>  wrote in message
news:ivng77$305d$1...@digitalmars.com...
On 2011-07-13 23:52, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
Hmm, yea, configure didn't even occur to me. I think it could acually be
done as just another File target that everything else depends on. Only
thing
is then you'd have to save/load the configuration file manually, so maybe
there should be some convenience mechnism for that (Maybe utilizing
Jacob's
Orange serialization library once that rewrite is done? Or maybe that
would
be overkill? Is there some INI-file util, or am I just imagining that?)

What about doing something like DSSS/rebuild does. There are config files
for dmd, ldc and gdc on various platforms. You can choose to invoke
different compilers and it will use the config file for that particular
compiler on the current platform.

One of my main goals for Drake is that using any old random tool (besides
just building D code) doesn't feel like an afterthought. That
DSSS/rebuild-style approach doesn't seem like it would scale particularly
well in that direction. I think whatever solution is used needs to work just
as well for the user's own custom tools as it does for DMD/LDC/GDC. Then,
any D-specific simplifications/improvements that are made should be built on
top of that. For example, we could provide a function the user calls from
within their "configure" step that automatically handles D-specific
configuring (And yea, maybe we could even automatically provide a default
"configure" that already calls that function.)

Ok, have you thought about how this will look (in code) and behave?

--
/Jacob Carlborg