On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:23:08 +0300, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisp...@gmx.com> wrote:

That's certainly a thought, but that could get entertaining to get the enum
values from that. As long as the various distros are consistent in their
naming schemes between their releases though, that _should_ be possible. That
may be worth trying though.

Not sure what you mean when you mention distros. Getting the distro name/version is a separate, much more complicated problem. AFAIK, there is no identifiable standard which distros adhere to to allow programmatic identification.

Hence, just the kernel version. The uname() system call returns it as a string. A possible complication is that the size of the structure that system call uses differs between UNIX flavors, and if I read the docs right, it even changed once or twice between Linux versions. (I thought Linux was maintaining binary compatibility between versions?)

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                            mailto:vladi...@thecybershadow.net