On 08/13/2011 08:51 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Peter Alexander"<peter.alexander...@gmail.com>  wrote in message
On 13/08/11 4:04 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 15:10:07 +0300, bearophile
<bearophileh...@lycos.com>  wrote:

It's one (the only?) chance to use D in the browser.

* An LLVM back-end exists which emits JavaScript. I believe I've seen
Doom on HTML5.
* D.NET may be dead, but it would allow running D on Silverlight.
* Lastly, Adobe has an LLVM backend for generating ActionScript 3
bytecode (Adobe Alchemy).

None of those are actually D code running natively though.

Yea. But it's all better than nothing, though. I mean, if you have to run
something on JS/AS3/Silverlight, it's better than not being able to use D at
all.

Speaking of, anyone know of any good tutorials for making an LLVM backend?
Preferably geared at someone with no compiler-backend experience? I've
looked at LLVM's docs, but I couldn't make heads or tails of a single word
of it.

Actually, the docs contain a nice introductory tutorial on how to use llvm to make a backend:
http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/