On 2011-08-17 09:13, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On 2011-08-16 22:01, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Tuesday, August 16, 2011 18:47:44 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
BTW, do we have style guides for abbreviations like this?

No. The style guide says camelcase, but it doesn't specify how to deal
with abbreviations. Personally, I think that it should be dealt with on
a case by case basis, since what works best depends on the
abbreviation, but in general, I prefer all caps.

- Jonathan M Davis

There's also the question when having abbreviations in a method name:

sendToHTTP

or

sendToHttp

In general think abbreviations should be avoided except when the
abbreviation is better known, e.g. HTTP, FTP and so on. I like camlecase
better than all caps both for class names and method names.

I meant that I generally prefer all caps for the abbreviations (e.g.
sentToHTTP rather than sendToHttp). I definitely think that the function names
should be camelcased and the types should be pascal cased - which is what the
d style is. And yes, abbreviations should only be used when they're
appropriately clear. Function names should be as short as we can reasonably
make them and still have them be clear, but clarity ranks higher than brevity
when it comes to picking good function names IMHO.

- Jonathan M Davis

Ok, seems we agree.

--
/Jacob Carlborg