On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM, bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com> wrote:
> Jonas Drewsen:
>
>>If a decent package management tool was added to D which could handle
>>downloading the binary lib for you then wouldn't that be an okey solition for
>>you?<
>
> What I think is acceptable is to put now the binary of the Windows library
> inside the zip of the DMD distribution. Once that decent package management
> tool will be present and working on Windows, you will be free to remove the
> binary lib, if you want (but I suggest to not do it, because D std library is
> suppsed to have few batteries included, and today accessing the web is a
> basic need. Maybe even the package management tool needs a curl to download
> the files, so we are back to the start).
>
> ----------------
>
> dsimcha:
>
>>Also, anyone have any luck getting Curl libs to work with DMD on Windows?
>>The binaries available at http://curl.haxx.se/download.html look like they're
>>COFF.  (<rant> Why do we still use freakin' OMF? </rant>)  Also, the source
>>doesn't look like it's pleasant to compile.<
>
> See my answer above :-) If I want to use DMD to write a 20 lines long
> script-line program I will not compile a C lib (and probably a 200 lines long
> program too).
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

If you're writing a 20 line long script why are you not using a
language more suited to the task like python, perl, lua, ruby or hell
php?

I don't see this as a good reason to bring a third party dependency
into phobos, especially something so tangential to everything as curl.

Accessing the web is a basic need solved by having a solid core
sockets and streams implementation, which we don't have. Curl is just
another library binding as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,
Josh.