On 2011-08-18 10:37, bearophile wrote:
Jonas Drewsen:

If a decent package management tool was added to D which could handle downloading
the binary lib for you then wouldn't that be an okey solition for you?<

What I think is acceptable is to put now the binary of the Windows library
inside the zip of the DMD distribution. Once that decent package management
tool will be present and working on Windows, you will be free to remove the
binary lib, if you want (but I suggest to not do it, because D std library is
suppsed to have few batteries included, and today accessing the web is a basic
need. Maybe even the package management tool needs a curl to download the
files, so we are back to the start).

Curl could be statically linked and the package manager would have no problem.

----------------

dsimcha:

Also, anyone have any luck getting Curl libs to work with DMD on Windows?  The binaries
available at http://curl.haxx.se/download.html look like they're COFF.  (<rant>  Why do
we still use freakin' OMF?</rant>)  Also, the source doesn't look like it's pleasant to
compile.<

See my answer above :-) If I want to use DMD to write a 20 lines long
script-line program I will not compile a C lib (and probably a 200 lines long
program too).

Bye,
bearophile

--