Josh Simmons wrote:

>Not sure why we're evaluating disk access performance patterns when
>dealing with network throughput which is only copying the data from
>userspace to a kernel buffer provided you're using a proper async
>socket access pattern.

The discussion drifted away from the original topic [as it's often the
case in this newsgroup ;-)]
From a previous post:
>> std.file.copy is synchronous. Would the suggestion then be to change
>> it to be
>> asynchronous or to create a second function (e.g. copyAsync) which
>> does an
>> asynchrous copy?
>
> I think std.file.copy should do whatever the heck is best to copy a
> file. As such, it should be transparently asynchronous. It would be
> great if such a task caught your fancy - and don't forget to test
> speed under a few circumstances.
>
> Andrei

>Implemented properly there is absolutely no
>need to complicate the whole show with threading (unless you're on
>windows where there's only IOCP). At any rate curl provides an async
>api which one would assume is relatively sane so once again I'm not
>sure how this speculation is appropriate.

I guess that an "async" copy as discussed here won't bring any
performance gain. But the async* methods in the curl-wrapper still have
an important use case: It's the only way to treat curl http streams as a
range: Curl's callback based 'push' api doesn't work well with 'pull'
based ranges. This could also be done with curl's multi interface, but
that has it's own issues:

http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2000-12/0013.html
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2007-06/0239.html
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2005-10/0044.html