On 09/01/2011 12:23 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 8/31/2011 9:58 AM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
Currently there is no way to track the references or pointers on the
stack
because the language does not include such a feature, nor can it be
build with
any of the language provided mechanisms.

The trouble with precise GC is that all the type info consumes a large
amount of memory.

I think our community will be rid of a major hurdle once we get past the
debate on whether precise GC is necessary. Precise GC is necessary,
there's no two ways about it. We should worry about implementing, not
debating, it.

Andrei

And honestly, the memory footprint for the type info is negligible with the amount of memory available today, especially as D is going towards x86-64 support.

- Alex