On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 19:34:28 Paul D. Anderson wrote:
> Is there an actual review queue, or is this a product of the hive mind?
>
> Looking at past review queue activities it seems like someone (usually
> Andrei) posts a notice when the current review is finished, or nearly
> finished, and then there is some back-and-forth on which one to do next.
>
> If there is an actual queue, could someone point me to it? If not, could
> someone (I'm not volunteering!) create one, or at least post a more-or-less
> current snapshot?

There is not currently actual page which lists the items up for review.
Rather, those in the newsgroup keep track of what's posted posting as looking
to be reviewed. Then when a review is finished, the review queue is brought up
for discussion, and the next item to be reviewed is selected. In general, that
would be the one waiting the longest, but the lack of availability of whoever
wrote the code for review has popped up sometimes (e.g. they're on vacation),
and if one item clearly needs to be reviewed sooner rather than later, it's
reviewed next. It's all quite informal at this point.

Off the top of my head, stuff currently sitting in the queue is

1. The curl wrapper, which has already gone through one round of review.
2. std.log
3 A CSV parsing module

A revamp of std.variant is in the works (as is a revamp of std.json which
relies on the revamp to std.variant) which should be close to being ready to
be reviewed, but Robert Jacques has yet to post that it's definitively ready
for review. So, I'm not sure that you can really say that it's in the review
queue.

David Simcha has also brought up several of his items as possible stuff to go
in the review queue, but I don't think that any of it currently is in the
queue.

Andrei was working on some changes to the benchmarking functionality in Phobos
which would lead to std.benchmark, but as far as I know, it's not ready for
review yet.

std.xml is supposedly currently being revamped, but I don't think that we've
heard anything new on that for a couple of months, so it's not in the queue
yet.

And I think that there are a few other projects floating around which are
likely to get into the queue within the next few months (e.g. the GSoC
projects), but I don't think that anything else is currently in the queue.

It may be beneficial to formalize the review queue a bit better, but what we've
been doing has worked fairly well thus far.

- Jonathan M Davis