Recent threads discuss how D should incorporate a mechanism to version
symbols/modules.
E.g. std.xml[2], std.io vs. std.stdio and std.regex[p].
My question is WHY?

D *already* employes Git and there is no point in reimplementing it inside the
D language/tools.
I suggest this simple zero-implementation scheme [KISS!]:
use git tags to tag Phobos releases and advertise the decided upon version
scheme in the docs. Make sure to document APIs with the minimum required Phobos
release version [git tag!] and add a "Releases" web-page that documents API
changes.
If someone needs a specific (older) version of e.g. std.xml he/she will simply
download the specific version of Phobos already available publicly online.

PS
I think that std.stdio is not KISS and should be deprecated in favor of std.io