On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:51:54 +0200, Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well in this particular benchmark there is little I can do, some small scale optimizations and such, I expect no more then 10%. The bigger picture is that our best bet here is static regex, the competitors use some aggressive JIT so it's a fair play. I actually received pull request this morning do just that (thx, Martin) though dmd uses so much memory it's not for mortals yet:

I had 2G of ram + some 600mb of swap - fail on 3rd pattern of 9
+ 2 Gb of swap - 6 out of 9
Come on, it's a sport!
+ 4 Gb of swap and after few restless minutes I got it working

Fresh timings:
FReD C-T  3.4 sec
FReD R-T  6.6 sec
RE2       4.8 sec
V8 JS     3.7 sec

Look ma, we are on top! :)

So, by the end of day, D does kick ass, even though it's a bit of Pyrrhic victory.

Even so, that is awesome. Another point to D for its
metaprogramming.

--
  Simen