On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:36:25 +0200, Marco Leise <marco.le...@gmx.de> wrote:

Am 14.09.2011, 17:10 Uhr, schrieb Simen Kjaeraas <simen.kja...@gmail.com>:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:51:54 +0200, Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well in this particular benchmark there is little I can do, some small scale optimizations and such, I expect no more then 10%. The bigger picture is that our best bet here is static regex, the competitors use some aggressive JIT so it's a fair play. I actually received pull request this morning do just that (thx, Martin) though dmd uses so much memory it's not for mortals yet:

I had 2G of ram + some 600mb of swap - fail on 3rd pattern of 9
+ 2 Gb of swap - 6 out of 9
Come on, it's a sport!
+ 4 Gb of swap and after few restless minutes I got it working

Fresh timings:
FReD C-T  3.4 sec
FReD R-T  6.6 sec
RE2       4.8 sec
V8 JS     3.7 sec

Look ma, we are on top! :)

So, by the end of day, D does kick ass, even though it's a bit of Pyrrhic victory.

Even so, that is awesome. Another point to D for its
metaprogramming.

Wait with the champaign until this doesn't use 8 GB RAM during compile any more ;) Other than that, congrats! This is really impressive. I think you do some great pioneer work, that will help other who try to embed simple domain specific languages.

It peaks at 4GB for me and takes about 20s to compile.