Hell, they didn't even know about clang even though they were progressive enough to use C++0x.

I once had a university professor who openly admitted C was the only
language he knew - and yet he didn't even understand how C's null-terminated
strings work. So he didn't really even know that one language.

Had a workmate who apparently was real good at using C for microprocessor programming. But he didn't have the slightest clue about how C++ works and what OOP overhead really means. And when I used Lua to create a small conversion script (which was only needed cause the legacy code was crap, hardcoded paths and the like)
that even turned into some kind of running gag.
I don't need to say that nobody had ever heard of it nor was anyone willing to try it out before judging.