Steve Teale wrote:
To express a personal opinion, then as a first pass we should do
something that is at about the same level as JDBC but without the
concessions to DBs like Postgres that have fancy SQL types.

I disagree. Doing it this way may introduce difficulties or incompabilities in the future. I think we should design it from the ground up, keeping in mind the all databases.

We probably should write a page on a wiki describing the API, without actually implementing anything. Then anyone involved may contribute to its design, so it may evolve into somewhat more thought out API.