On 10/9/2011 5:28 AM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
1. I think that we should not design this API using the least common denominator
approach. This is to not limit some databases. For example PostgreSQL has many
great features not available in MySQL. That's why I started with postgres in my
ddb project. I think DB API should be designed to support the most featureful
databases and those that have less features may be easily adapted to that API.

Haven't common denominator designs been more or less failures in at least one category - gui libraries?

Some driver models have succeeded only because a powerful entity forced the issue - like for device drivers for an OS.

I suspect that trying to design a common api to popular databases is an expensive and quixotic quest. If it weren't, wouldn't it have happened already?