On Oct 9, 2011, at 3:56 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 10/9/11 5:31 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 10/9/2011 5:28 AM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
>>> 1. I think that we should not design this API using the least common
>>> denominator
>>> approach. This is to not limit some databases. For example PostgreSQL
>>> has many
>>> great features not available in MySQL. That's why I started with
>>> postgres in my
>>> ddb project. I think DB API should be designed to support the most
>>> featureful
>>> databases and those that have less features may be easily adapted to
>>> that API.
>>

>> Haven't common denominator designs been more or less failures in at
>> least one category - gui libraries?
>
> A common database interface is not a common denominator API; more like the
> opposite. This is not difficult because most differences across database
> systems lie in their SQL, which is strings from D's perspective.

Assuming that by "database" you mean SQL.  Pretty fair assumption, though NoSQL
databases (which cover a broad range of designs since there's no standard
language yet for key-value DBs, etc) are rapidly gaining popularity.  I almost
wonder if the base type should be named SqlDatabase instead of Database.