On 10/16/2011 7:18 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
So you would put every interface to every possible C code there?

No. It's simply a collection point for interfaces to publicly available C libraries. The place to go to see if someone has already written what you're looking for. Its mission is also narrowly focused on simply being a way to access existing C libraries from D in the most straightforward way possible.

In Ruby if you want to have very efficient code you'd implement it as C
extensions. For that, you create wrappers in Ruby for C. Now, big part of the
standard library has extensions for the most needed things. Everything else,
like bindings to an efficient xml parser, are made by different people that
public them as gems. Having a public gem repository it's really easy to find
bindings for whatever you want. They don't need to be part of the standard
library. And it wouldn't make sense, having so much functionality out there
available as C code.

Right.

So I'd suggest having D headers for the most common things in phobos

Yes.

and focusing on a tool like rubygems. It would give such a big boost to the
language.

I think github is adequate for now to be the tool.

I also can't imagine how that big repository would work. You'd copy the remote
file locally?

That'll work, or you can use the github 'clone' feature.

What if that file gets fixes? You'd copy it again? Or maybe you'd
git checkout everything from that repository locally and synchronize it from
time to time, with the chance of breaking existing code...
Having "gems" and versioning them should make all these problems disappear.

Github has extensive versioning and branching support. This shouldn't be an
issue.

> Maybe there is an openssl header in D. The problem is that there might be
many,
> and they don't know each other, and google is a maze to find such things.

Exactly. And maybe there are several openssl D headers, each of which is half-assed in a different way. With a central library for them, we can improve them globally rather than piecemeal and randomly.