On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:10:55 -0400, Peter Alexander
<peter.alexander...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 19/10/11 3:08 PM, Robert Jacques wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 07:58:15 -0400, Manu <turkey...@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree, that is certainly more important :)

I'm mainly just curious to know about how the main contributors feel
about
these things, and whether these things will be implemented/planned, or if
they violate some fundamental language principles...
Basically, I really want to start some major work in D, but before
investing
into the language, I want to know that important features are
recognised and
have a long term plan...

Well, __restrict was mainly added to C (IIRC), to allow loop
vectorization. In D, we have explicit array operations, which carry a
lot of the same caveats as __restrict, except are checkable.

It's for far more than vectorization. Any place that has redundant loads
can benefit from __restrict.

I recommend this presentation on the subject:
http://www.slideshare.net/guest3eed30/memory-optimization

It's about memory optimizations. Aliasing issues start at slide 35.

Thanks. I've seen most of that before. And even in those slide, the major
(though not only) use-case for __restrict is with array and matrix processing.
Most other use-cases can be cached manually or are really, really unsafe.