On 2011-10-21 20:38, Walter Bright wrote:
On 10/21/2011 2:51 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
You have a good point here. I would have immediately thrown out the
loop AFTER
profiling.
What hits me here is that I had an incorrect program with built-in
unicode aware
strings.
This is counterintuitive to correct unicode handling throughout the
std library,
and even more to the complementary operation of appending any char
type to strings.

I understand the issue, but I don't think it's resolvable. It's a lot
like the signed/unsigned issue. Java got rid of it by simply not having
any unsigned types.

Can't we implement a new string type that people can choose to use if they want. It will hide all the Unicode details that has been brought up by this thread.

--
/Jacob Carlborg