Am 28.10.2011 08:49, schrieb Chante:
I still don't know why anyone bothers doing this. I have no worries about
that kind of thing (well, not very much and certainly "orders of
magnitude" less relatively). I worry about releasing novel software with
the obvious innovations unprotected. Released unprotected, effectively
puts me out of business the moment Billion Dollar Bitch Software catches
the drift and sucks up the market. Stops my innovation in its tracks.
What other than patent can help with this?

A patent won't help you, Billion Dollar Bitch Software has tons of patents and you'll certainly violate some of them.
(And if not they'll claim you do and sue you until you're bankrupt)