Steve Teale wrote:

> I also have a question. MySQL potentially produces result sets of up to
> 64 bit size - rows. The MySQL client theoretically copes with these by
> storing a result set as a doubly linked list, and there's nothing to stop
> me doing the same. But is it necessary?

Yes it is. It is a common practice to get the whole thing rather than to
take it in chunks. (Atomically so to speak)
1) The first thing that comes to mind is efficiency.
2) The second is - you remove the complexity (you will have to deal with
various chunks).
3) The third reason, and the most important one, is the high possibility
that your result set is going to change while you receive chunks. So, if you
received it in chunks, it is possible that the overall data may be
INCONSISTENT. So if you really wanted it to be done in chunks then you would
have to make a snapshot of the result set on the database side, while behind
the scenes those records keep being updated...