On 11/5/11 11:29 PM, Steve Teale wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 15:14:14 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

If we avoid "auto" in documentation examples but we do use it in
everyday code, we effectively foster a style that's foreign and
non-idiomatic to newcomers.

Andrei,

I don't use auto in everyday code, in fact I don't think I've ever used
it at all. I've been with D for some years now, but apparently I write
'foreign and non-idiomatic' D. This goes just a tad beyond patronizing
your reader.

It can be safely hypothesized you are, and you shouldn't be offended by seeing it stated. Patronizing one's reader is an unrelated thing - it means the author of some writing assumes being more knowledgeable than the readership.

Can you write us a brief article that will convince me of its benefits,
and the error of my ways please. There's no Borders where I live, and
Amazon does not deliver to Africa, so I don't have the benefit of your
book.

Unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow it, but sounds like a good article idea.