On Friday, November 11, 2011 10:51:31 Tobias Pankrath wrote:
> Russel Winder wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 01:39 -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> >> On Friday, November 11, 2011 09:34:07 Russel Winder wrote:
> > [...]
> >> He creates tons of them (both bug reports and enhancement requests).
> >> Probably a third of the reports in bugzilla come from him (maybe more;
> >> someone tallied it a few months back, but I don't remember the exact
> >> percentage). They can't possibly all be addressed. And many of his
> >> requests involve major changes that have no chance of happening. He'd
> >> stand a much better chance of getting some of his ideas implemented if
> >> he just focused on a few of them, but the sheer number of them means
> >> that there's no way that very many of them are going to be
> >> implemented, regardless of their merit.
> >
> > Ah, OK.  So exactly the opposite of my original surmise.  Sadly a
> > surfeit of effectively useless reports is worse that too few.
>
> But how is bearophile going to know, which of his ideas are good and bad,
> if he doesn't share them?
>
> I'd say, the core dmd devs (or bearophile himself) should rank the reports
> or mark them "won't fix" after discussion.
>
> After all an issue tracker is for keeping track of issues, that are not to
> be solved right now. It's like saying "you shouldn't report all this bugs,
> because we don't have enough developer to fix them.".

Bugs are one thing. Enhancement requests are another thing entirely. He seems
to post an enhancement request for everything that passes his fancy even
briefly. If he thought them through more, then there would likely be fewer. It
would also help if you didn't keep making suggestions that involve major
breaking changes unless he had a _really_ solid argument for why we need them
(e.g. changing byte to sbyte). If he has some solid ideas to share, then
that's great, but the sheer number of ideas (be they good or bad) that he has
makes it so that each of them has a high chance of being ignored.

- Jonathan M Davis