On 11/14/11 5:01 PM, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
On 11/14/2011 04:52 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

Many newly-designed languages are wrapped around a single paradigm, and
they set a store by being so. D most assuredly and pointedly has
different take on that.

As do languages like Go, C++, and Scala. "multi-paradigm" is "completely
and fatuously generic", to use your words.

That doesn't seem the case to me at all. Multi-paradigm programming language has a rather precise meaning - it's a language that allows several of the classic programming styles (functional, object-oriented, procedural, generic).

This is *my* I told you so
moment. How many different people have keyed in on this stupid buzzword?

Not a lot. At least in the circles I frequent it is acknowledged that C++ is multi-paradigm (there's even a book with the phrase in the title) and most other languages are not.