On 2011-11-15 15:58, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Jacob Carlborg"<d...@me.com>  wrote in message
news:j9tueg$1rlo$3...@digitalmars.com...
On 2011-11-15 15:23, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

DVM really should be officially sanctioned and prominently recommended on
d-p-l.org.

I think the only big improvement DVM could really use at this point is a
system-wide installation option that avoids the "edit
.bashrc/whatever..."
step on Posix. With just that, I really think it should be the #1
recommended way of obtaining DMD. And installers should be based upon it.

Yeah, system-wide installation would be nice. Just takes some thought to
figure out how it should work together with single-user installations.

What sort of specific potential problems do you see?

The thing is that I haven't thought about it that much. But on top my head I can think of:

What should happen if dvm is installed system-wide and at the same time installed in the user's home directory?

* Should it possible to both access the compilers that are installed in the system-wide installation and the single-user installation

* What happens when the user tries to switch to a compiler that is installed system-wide but not in the user's home directory

That's what I can think of for now, but there can be other similar scenarios.

--
/Jacob Carlborg