On 11/16/2011 07:53 AM, Adam Ruppe wrote:

But looking at a tree thread is almost impossible once it gets to
more than about ten posts without computer assistance, and even
then, it's so fractured that people repeat themselves a lot.

I find I have that tendency no matter what the format. If, in a thread, there are more than about 20 post I haven't read, I tend to just not read anything that isn't in response to something I posted. Linear, hierarchical. Doesn't matter much. At least with hierarchical I sometimes read the siblings of my posts.

I think it's a defensive time management tactic. I've seen threads here that literally grew content faster than I cold read it (assuming I wanted to think about it at all).