On 11/27/2011 11:11 PM, Jude wrote:
I for one am glad they "DON'T GET IT."  I can't stand threaded view.
Tried it, too much work for so little gain.

What I don't get is why you are soo vocal about such a tiny, little thing.
Check the thread with your threaded views. No one has suggested that
we need to REPLACE the current newsgroup.

No one has suggested anything more than "hey, maybe we should try to
cater to a larger audience, instead of just those who agree that a NG
is the best way to communicate ever."

Many have suggested replacing the ng with off-the-shelf web forum software.

I've noticed that you haven't made an appearance on irc in a while.
It doesn't have threaded views either, but I don't think that you
would doubt it's usefulness.

I find irc to be difficult to deal with once a conversation gets beyond trivia, and multiple people are typing at once. I use skype chat, but that's almost always with just two people involved. That works, as it doesn't need threading.

People like it, and I for one really appreciate it's existence.
It has helped me out quite a bit, and I definitely would not have
learned as much as I know(very little btw) about d if it didn't exist.

That's good, but it doesn't work for me.

- From my point of view, we have a few people who think that it would be
nice to have another method of communication, and people who would
like to restrict other peoples choice based on nothing more than an
antiquated black and white view of the world.

I have yet to see a 'valid' reason against having a forum.

It splits our community into two groups that likely won't communicate with each other.

"Forums are lame and just "DON'T GET IT" and I don't like them and
EVERYONE must agree that my method is superior and use my preferred
method" is NOT a valid reason.

We've been using NNTP for 10 years, and it's been pretty successful. Another reason is to not mess with what is working.

Please note that I have encouraged development of a "forum like" web app that operates as a front end to NNTP.