Walter,

Well, when I think "web forum software" I think installable. I'm pretty sure the ones you named are generally all proprietary. It's certainly rare for proprietary forum software to deal with read status at that level, I agree.

I don't even think Slashdot has a concept of "read", but then, I don't frequent it (or Reddit or Digg) much.

-[Unknown]