On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:27:12 +0200, Unknown W. Brackets <usefirstnameinstead-newsgr...@unknownbrackets.org> wrote:

Well, that's all I mean by self moderation. If users are making a conscious effort to clarify (just like a "forward" button in email), then problem solved.

I find subthreads undesirable because humans think and experience the conversation linearly. They're not unlikely to cross reference, and in newsgroups it's common to read "as X posted in his other reply" and such. So, then you have to go hunt that down.

I find cross-referencing to occur quite rarely.

It also seems like providing links to other posts can't be done ideally. It's rarely done, sometimes it uses a proprietary link, sometimes it uses news://, and in most readers this seems to break threading (e.g. pretty sure Thunderbird just opens the post in a new tab without context.) So, solving the multi-parent/cross-referencing issue oneself isn't trivial.

This is an implementation problem (albeit a rather real and unfortunate one).

Sure, and choice is wonderful. But conflicting choice is the problem. For example, on a web based forum I typically will reply, quoting multiple people who talked about similar things, and addressing their points or concerns together.

I may make multiple posts in a row (depending on the forum, some consider this bad manners) if there are many posts to reply to with slightly varying sub-subjects.

This usually works well, and allows people to skim in ways that make sense.

Now, if I have the choice to do that, how does it mesh with a newsgroup style? Now I have a single post with multiple parents. Where does it go? This is the question that "hybrid mode" fails to answer, and when you see it enabled, it's obvious who does and who doesn't use the threading.

So, in that case at least, choice makes everyone lose, basically.

I think you're over-exaggerating the problem (especially considering the trade-offs). Just put a "Reply" button next to each post, and remove the reply facilities that are not visually tied to specific posts.

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                            mailto:vladi...@thecybershadow.net