Steve,

Ah, yes, I totally forgot that prepared statements used a better format.

-[Unknown]

On 11/29/2011 9:42 AM, Steve Teale wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:01:29 -0800, Unknown W. Brackets wrote:

Steve,

The type conversion you talk about (bigint ->  double) probably happens
on 32-bit systems, no?  Some of these things will definitely vary
depending on the database system.

I disagree with him on validation (although he's right about
constraints, speaking of atomicy), as others, but I think that's not
what you're after.

You just want to know the types of the result fields, right?  I don't
know this specifically for ODBC/SQL Server, but it may be worth pointing
out that MySQL sends everything as strings:

It is sorted now. I was using a version of TDS provided by the Ubuntu
package management system that turned out to be hopelessly out of date.
I've built it now from FreeTDS CVS, and it works OK.

MySQL 5 returns data from plain old ExecSQL as strings, but for prepared
statements it uses a binary format. However I have no problems with type
determination there.

Thanks for taking the trouble to help.

Steve