On 2011-11-30 07:28, Steve Teale wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 23:22:16 -0500, Jason House wrote:

Jesse Phillips Wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:34:51 -0500, bearophile wrote:

A recently written report from a firm that has switched back from
Scala to Java:

https://raw.github.com/
gist/1406238/72ade1a89004a9a7d705b00cfd14b90b2b6a26bd/gistfile1.txt
I looked at the issues much differently. I read it hours ago, but here
are what I remember as big issues: * immature / incomplete libraries
* immature toolchain
* poor performance with common patterns * not widely adopted / hard to
teach

I think D shares all of these problems to differing degrees.

There's a good deal of activity on the D library front, but the toolchain
situation seems to be stuck.

The big deals as I see them, for ages, have been the flaky debugging and
inability to generate shared libraries in Linux, and the COFF/OMF divide
in Windows.

Steve

I agree. The shared library problem is blocked by DMD not being able to correctly generate PIC. Lately it seems that mostly new bugs get attention and the old once are almost forgotten.

--
/Jacob Carlborg