Le 02/12/2011 18:08, Nick Sabalausky a écrit :
> "Russel Winder" <rus...@russel.org.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Java is the main language of development just now. D is a tiny little
>> backwater in the nether regions of obscurity. If any language is a joke
>> here, it is D since it is currently unable to claim any serious market
>> share in the world of development.
>
> I see, so popularity is the primary determining factor of quality and
> validity. Right? What's right is inherently popular and what's popular is
> inherently right.
>
>> If you don't know why, how can you make claims that you cannot
>> substantiate in any way shape or form.
>
> That's just BS. Even the scientific method starts with *observations*, not
> the "how" or "why". Those come later. Observations without knowing the
> underlying cause are perfectly valid. Hell, if JVM is slow, then it doesn't
> really even matter why (unless you're optimizing it or trying to avoid the
> same pitfalls), now does it?
>
>> I am entirely comfortable with my perceptions
>> of languages, so have no need for such behaviours.
>
> That's BS posturing and chest-thumping. What is this, some damn new agers
> group where nobody's allowed to dislike anything and feel strongly about it?
>
> The reason you feel no need for such things is because you don't appear to
> find significant fault with Java/JVM. Other people do. And unlike you, those
> people have to put up with a world heavily infected by it. *Of course*, you
> don't feel a need to complain, you're comfortable equating popularity with
> validity.
>
> I'm not trying to say you're not entitled to be happy with Java/JVM, but
> when someone who likes the status quo sees someone who dislikes it and then
> says, "Hey, how dare you be unhappy about it! After all, I'm happy! It's the
> popular thing, therefore it must be ok and you should like it!", and starts
> preaching, that's just asinine.

In what way is Eclipse sluggish ? The Java language is slower than C++,
but Eclipse happily compiles hundreds of thousands of lines or millions
of lines of Java code in a few seconds or at most tens of seconds. Try
to do that even with C, not talking about C++.

The fact is, you are more productive in Java than in C++ by nearly an
order of magnitude.
Because:
0) the language is easier, has far less idiosyncrasies
1) the IDEs are extremely helpful,
2) the API is extremely complete and reliable
3) there are libraries for nearly everything
4) debugging is usually easier than in C++
5) you have less bugs (especially, hard to find bugs like unitialized
variables for instance, or race conditions)
6) porting is easier
7) it is safer in the sense that you have less security holes

These qualities largely compensate the defects and shortcomings of the
language, and I can attest from experience that because of its massive
toolset and libraries as well as static typing, Java is comparable in
productivity with Python.
Besides, with a little attention to what you do, you can extract very
decent performance out of it. For instance embedded Java databases like
H2 and HSQLDB are demonstrably faster than MySQL and PostgreSQL or
Oracle on small to average sized disk-based databases, and they were
written by a single guy.
In many environments where it is massively used, Java is *not* the
bottleneck, the JVM is fast enough. Rather the network or the database
are. This is enough to convince most companies to invest massively into
Java. So saying that Java is a toy language is ridiculous.