On 2011-12-02 19:15, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Adam Wilson"<flybo...@gmail.com>  wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 04:33:48 -0800, a<a...@a.com>  wrote:

QML looks like it is (currently ?) targeted at the kind of GUI
programming when you make your own custom widgets for everything. It
only provides the most basic components such as rectangles, text, and
images. There isn't, say, a button components - you have to make one
using a Rectangle and a MouseArea. One consequence of this is that
typical GUI programming is much slower. Another consequence is that you
can't build GUIs that look native on multiple platforms. QML is probably
great for some things, but it is not a replacement for GUI  toolkits
such as Qt.

This is similar in concept to how XAML in WPF/Silverlight is used to
construct screens, and it's not bad idea. And the fact that the UX can be
skinned to look nothing like the default OSUI is actually probably one of
the most useful things about WPF and Silverlight. Yes, it doesn't look
true to the OS, but you'll find that in the UI Design world, that is of
surprisingly little importance.

That's without a doubt my #1 complaint about desktop apps over the last
decade: Narcissistic designers with nothing but contempt for a user's
control over their own system.

The most important thing to a UI designer  is that the UI looks and works
the same across *ALL* OS's.

That's just terrible.

Facebook looks and works the  same regardless of whether I pull it up in
Chrome or Firefox, Mac or Linux.

The hell with mobile, eh? Making things look and act the same on everything
is *terrible* UI design. Making things look and act *appropriate* for the
given platform has alwas been and will always be the proper thing to do
regardless of what the majority of designers decide is the trend du jour
(ok, so that's redundant, so sue me ;) ).

I agree. I hate that applications invent their own GUI widgets when there already exist perfectly usable widgets. These new widgets never work or look as good as the native ones.

--
/Jacob Carlborg