On 2011-12-04 06:09, Somedude wrote:
Le 04/12/2011 03:40, Don a écrit :
If you work in an environment where practically all apps are fast,
Eclipse stands out as being slow. The startup time is particularly
striking.
I don't see any reason for this. Mostly when you open an IDE you want to
first open a few files, look at them, maybe do some editing.
It ought to be possible to do that within 2 secs of starting the IDE,
while everything else continues to load.
It's unusual to perform a major refactoring of your code base within 10
secs of opening your IDE, but it seems you can't do anything at all,
until everything has been loaded.

I stopped bothering to respond to Nick Sabalausky, as obviously, he is
not trying to discuss, he just throws his opinions around without any
substance.

As for startup time, who cares really, as you open it only once and
leave it open afterwards ? As Jonathan and I have said now at least 3
times, you don't close it as it's your primary tool. And the reason it's
slow is, at startup time, it loads:
- the GUI toolkit SWT and the interface manager
- the customized interface (called "perspective" in eclipse)
- hundreds of plugins
- the compiler
- your open projects
- all the files that were open last time

As you may have noticed, almost all the tools that have their own non
native GUI toolkit are slower to load. Any Gtk tool for instance. Even
worse when you have plugins. Try to start the Gimp or Photoshop, and
tell me if it's fast.

Eclipse uses SWT as its GUI toolkit which uses native widgets.

--
/Jacob Carlborg