On Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 17:35:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Ok then, if you're claiming that I'm wrong and a programmer *does* have a legitimate excuse for not having a 7z-capable program, perhaps you could state what that legitimate excuse is instead of merely being contradictory?

There are some funny consequences to this. If something completely pisses you off, it might actually be an indication we're doing something right. And if you say something is perfect for you, that's almost always a reason to worry.

Oof, I think saying that here was uncalled for.

But seriously, I think this discussion is neglecting to account for the subjective aspects, mainly segmentation by operating system. This decade cross-platform software is becoming more ubiquitous, but it wasn't that long ago that GUI applications (the only kind regular users care about) that worked on different major platforms were exceedingly rare - and when you switched operating systems, you practically always had to simply look for analogies for the software you used on the old system. By this follows that the major OSes had their own established software packaging methods - installers and archives of various sorts on Windows, .dmg / .pkg / .sit for OS X, and tarballs for POSIX. Windows inherits much of its user base (and thus, user mannerisms) from the DOS days, back when there were dozens of archivers in common use (anyone remembers ARC, ARJ, LHA?). RAR and ZIP survived the test of time, with 7-Zip quickly gaining traction after its appearance due to improved compression algorithms.

I know Nick uses Windows, same as myself, and from last I heard Andrei uses a Mac. So, it's no wonder that there's such a huge disconnect of opinion - the Mac software ecosystem lived (and still lives, to some extent) in its own different world.