On 12/24/2011 05:44 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 12/25/2011 12:27 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Saturday, 24 December 2011 at 23:12:27 UTC, bearophile wrote:
I was talking about the abundance of (({}){()}) and not about
identifiers length.

It's the same fallacy.

Not really. Functional style code tends to be conceptually simpler.
Having code that is more readable can help. Getting rid of (({return
{return}}){return()}) makes the code more readable, whereas excessively
shortening identifiers does the opposite.

See here for an example of what bearophile is talking about:
http://pastebin.com/2rEdx0RD

I looked over that code. It creates an entire lazy evaluation environment. It's quite remarkable it's actually so concise, and I don't see a lot of ways to significantly improve it.

However, I think the slow druntime GC is more of a show stopper for
functional D than any syntactic issues there may be.

Got the GC book this morning, already read 2.5 chapters :o).