On 2011-12-28 14:18, Marco Leise wrote:
Am 28.12.2011, 01:22 Uhr, schrieb Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisp...@gmx.com>:

On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 18:43:14 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if Santa were to give us named arguments this
year too?
:)

Only if he hates me. But I guess that I'm in the minority around here
in that
I hate the idea of named arguments.

- Jonathan M Davis

Despite that feature being optional to use, I could understand you if
you think it only makes sense on obscure 'true'/'false' flags and prefer
named enums there. Then there would be two ways to do the same thing,
which annoys language purists like me ^^.

(…, overwrite = true); vs. (…, CreateMode.overwrite);

But named parameters can do more, like skipping some optional parameters
and using others.

int foo(int a = 0, int b = 1, int c = 2) {}
foo(c = 3);

That's where they are really useful. When C# got named arguments and optional arguments it became a lot easier to use COM functions:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd264739.aspx

--
/Jacob Carlborg