On 12/28/11 8:57 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
I can understand how Jonathan has no problem writing verbose code, but
I'd rather not have to write enums all over the place just to use a
true/false flag that is obvious at the call site compared to calls
like this:

showWidget(true, false);

But I bet one day Walter&  Co. will have another phone conversation
and then magically we'll have named arguments the next day, without
asking the community about how it feels about the inclusion (e.g. just
like D1 deprecation, this lambda syntax, and other behind-the-scenes
decisions between Walter and Andrei). All it will take is probably an
angry Redditor or maybe some coworker at Facebook that asked for the
feature.

Well as Peter said, this is a tad unfair. The decision on lambdas is a logical consequence of many months of discussing the issue back and forth across the community.

The decision to discontinue D1 could have been carried more elegantly, and I apologize for that. Nevertheless it would have been just as inevitable, and clearly it is doing and will continue to do a world of good to D. If anything I am sorry we didn't take the step earlier. Announcing a two-year expiration of D1 at the end of 2010 would have been even better.

I'm just against decisions made between the two heads of state that
happen over night. I'd like a little more transparency from our "D
government", if you know what I mean. ;-)

Roger that. Also, I'm not sure if you were around - things did improve quite a bit compared to a while ago.