On Wednesday, 28 December 2011 at 19:38:53 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
[snip]

I'm all for making string a properly encapsulated type.

In what way would the proposed change improve encapsulation, and why would it even be desirable for such a basic data structure?

I'm not sure what are you asking here. Are you asking what are the benefits of encapsulation? This topic was discussed to death more than once and I'd suggest searching the NG archives for the details. Also, If you hadn't already I'd suggest reading about Unicode and its levels of abstraction: code point, code units, graphemes, etc...