On 12/28/2011 08:55 PM, foobar wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 December 2011 at 19:38:53 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
[snip]

I'm all for making string a properly encapsulated type.

In what way would the proposed change improve encapsulation, and why
would it even be desirable for such a basic data structure?

I'm not sure what are you asking here. Are you asking what are the
benefits of encapsulation?

I know the benefits of encapsulation and none of them applies here. The proposed change is nothing but a breaking interface change.

This topic was discussed to death more than
once and I'd suggest searching the NG archives for the details. Also, If
you hadn't already I'd suggest reading about Unicode and its levels of
abstraction: code point, code units, graphemes, etc...

'char' is a code unit. Therefore that is the level of abstraction the data type char[] provides.