On 2012-01-15 03:06:22 +0000, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisp...@gmx.com> said:

It seems that the problem is that while Walter can be saved effort by having someone else do that kind of work, it doesn't necessarily save him all that much effort, since he still must ultimately take the time to fully understand what's being changed and what the implications are before he merges it in.

It still saves the effort of coming up with a solution, implementing that solution, updating the test suite, etc. I think this is significant. But you're right, it's more effort to review than most other pull requests, and it might not be something he likes to do.

And the ramifications of pull request #3 are larger than most, so it makes sense if it takes longer for it to be sorted out. Still, given the importance of pull request #3, I would have thought that it would have been handled much sooner than this. It's getting very close to being a year old.

A year old and outdated: it won't merge cleanly anymore (despite the update I made this summer). I should probably keep maintaining it, but as it is now I don't think I'll bother until Walter is ready to look at it.

But I'm a little surprised he hasn't even looked at it yet given this is a problem he tried to fix himself before. In his place, I'd be very curious to understand how it works.

And also, #3 is pretty small compared to something else I could come with one day (D/Objective-C).

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com