I'm not particularly well versed in Makefile ethics, but this caught me by surprise.

Suppose I clone d-programming-language.org into my home directory (as I did), do some work, then later on run make clean.

git clone https://.../d-programming-language.org.git
cd d-programming-language.org
... do stuff ...
make -fposix.mak clean

Here's what clean does:

rm -rf ../web ../dmd.2.056 2.056.ddoc
rm -rf ../druntime.2.056 ../phobos.2.056

If I had a web dir in my home directory (not exactly uncommon), it would have been deleted without warning. Luckily, I didn't. I now have it cloned into a separate dir where it can do no harm.

Is it normal for Makefiles to be so intrusive? IMO, Makefiles shouldn't be deleting anything outside their own directory.