On 2012-01-15 14:28, mta`chrono wrote:
If I had a web dir in my home directory (not exactly uncommon), it would
have been deleted without warning. Luckily, I didn't. I now have it
cloned into a separate dir where it can do no harm.

Is it normal for Makefiles to be so intrusive? IMO, Makefiles shouldn't
be deleting anything outside their own directory.

You're right! Makefiles shouldn't do anything outside their own
directory, but building the website is a little bit complicated as
d-progamming-language.org relys on the sources of druntime and phobos to
generate the documentation.

I think it can not be avoided in this particular case. The Makefile has
to do some work in the parent folder.

BUT, it's probably best to add a "README.md" and give a short
explanation of how to build the website.

----
mkdir -p /tmp/workdir
cd /tmp/workdir
git checkout ...
git checkout ...
git checkout ...
make -f ....
move BLA to your /var/www/public_html folder
rm -rf /var/workdir
----

Or create a super repository and use git submodules to include all repositories currently at: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language

--