On 2012-02-10 14:54, Oliver Plow wrote:
I wonder how much it helps to just optimize the GC a little.  How much
does the performance gap close when you use DMD 2.058 beta instead of
2.057?  This upcoming release has several new garbage collector
optimizations.  If the GC is the bottleneck, then it's not surprising

Is there a way to "turn off" the GC, e.g. a compiler switch to set the heap size to a
large number so that the GC is likely not to set in? I searched through this page:
http://www.d-programming-language.org/dmd-windows.html#switches But couldn't find anything helpful.
Then you could measure the thing with GC "turned off" to see whether the GC is the
problem or not.

-- Oliver

There's a stub implementation of the GC which uses malloc, IIRC. Try using that one at link time.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/blob/master/src/gcstub/gc.d

--
/Jacob Carlborg