On Friday, 17 February 2012 at 17:49:53 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:56:58AM +0100, F i L wrote:
[...]
Thought to be honest I doubt we'll all still be designing applications in text (only) editors, even fancy ones, in the next 10-15 years.

I know I still will be. I have never liked IDE's, and probably never
will.

Software design is very modular, and even arbitrary logic tools could be better at presenting this data. Simple things like code-completion has gone a long way flatten the learning curve, and that can only get better when visual and audio logic can be manipulated in like-fashion.
[...]

True, but the initial learning curve *is* only just the initial learning curve. Programming is essentially difficult, and whether the initial learning curve was easy or not, sooner or later you will still have to come to grips with the same difficult programming problems that will
require a lot of effort and ingenuity to solve.

Unless you're talking about trivial things like writing GUI interfaces and stuff like that, which require no more than the usual manipulation
of arrays and lists and simple stuff like that.

Once you get past these trivial things, and get to non-trivial problems like finding a good approximation for the travelling salesman problem, or computing higher-dimensional convex hulls, say, you'll have to think in the abstract anyway, so the representation really doesn't matter that much. Might as well stick with text-only representation so that you can focus on the actual problem instead of being distracted by pretty
graphics.

Yes, that's why i said "text (only)" because some concepts are simply so abstract in nature, that "writing down" the precise logic is the most efficient way to convey them. But typing is only more direct when you: 1) know the name of what you're looking for, and 2) The problem isn't visual, or you don't think visually. If you ask a person to move an object from point A to point B, they will visualize the movement and use their hands to carry it out without ever really analyzing which muscles or numerical angles they need for approach. Moving visual data, or even abstract objects like memory, around might be best "illustrated" to the computer by recording a more hands-on example and having the compiler optimize that behavior in the best possible way. With fine-tuning step-by-step control a natural, but more expert approach.

In advertising, the more positive senses (sight, sound, touch, etc) you can associate with a product or brand, the more you'll get a positive knee-jerk response to that item, because emotional memory is reinforced through association like any other memory. In good UI design, visual/audial distinction serves to associate controls with their function, while striving to advertise as much positive emotion as possible. A good example of this is GMail's new interface where important controls are conveyed in red and options are blue. So while "fancy graphics" for the sake of advertising alone would do nothing to boost efficiency, "fancy functional graphics" could help make developing software more direct, more conveyable, and more enjoyable overall.